Sunday, May 5, 2013

Back From School

So the school year has officially ended and I am now a Senior in college. Wow.

I like to think about less traumatizing things, however, and went to see Murphy-doodle today. The sky was rather ominous though and it seriously looked like it was going to rain. But I have things to do gosh darn it! I decided today would have to be a lame brush and treats day with a sidebar of saddle fitting (Can't wait to explain that). In the process, however, I started speaking with an adult rider at my barn who has just leased her very first horse after riding for about 5 or so months. She is rightfully petrified.

Props to her though. She is doing everything right. The saddle she bought didn't really fit the horse and instead of making it work she went out and bought a better fitting one. She ended up with a Wintec (not entirely sure what kind) that came complete with the easy gullet change system.

Lucky dog.

Anyway, we were talking about all things horse and I gave her a few pointers on her ride that I saw.

Let me preface this next statement with a nice disclaimer.
I am NOT  trainer; but I do go to horse school, take lessons regularly, and own my own horse. So I know a few things about a few things.

This nice woman - let's call her... Jane -  told me she was worried that she wouldn't be able to afford lessons anymore and that her daughter didn't respond well to the trainer who works out of our barn. A large lightbulb went on in my brain and before I knew it I was offering myself as a dirt broke. college student who just wants to be able to pay for her horse's shoes as well as his home.

And somehow I landed myself two students. Huh. Can I handle that?

I mean, I know more theory than most people at my school, but do I know how to teach someone else? Particularly a beginner?

Well we're going to find out!

But in the meantime: Let's get summer started out right! With a week straight of rain... Great.

You do realize it's about to rain, right?

Oh how I love this chestnut pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment